Materials Selection and Applications in Mechanical Engineering|
Dr. Aravamudhan Raman
512 pages, Illustrated, 7 x 10
Published: September 2006
Unlike any other text of its kind, Materials Selection and Applications in Mechanical Engineering contains complete and in-depth coverage on materials of use, their principles, processing and handling details; along with illustrative examples and sample projects. It clearly depicts the needed topics and gives adequate coverage with ample examples so that ME students can appreciate the relevance of materials to their discipline.
Featuring the basic principles of materials selection for application in various engineering outcomes, the contents of this text follow those of the common first-level introductory course in materials science and engineering. Directed toward mechanical engineering, it introduces the materials commonly used in this branch, along with an exhaustive description of their properties that decide their functional characteristics and selection for use, typical problems encountered during application due to improper processing or handling of materials, non-destructive test procedures used in maintenance to detect and correct problems, and much more. Whats more, numerous examples and project-type analyses to select proper materials for application are provided. With the use of this unique text, teaching a relevant second-level course in materials to ME majors has never been easier!
* Covers all aspects of engineering materials necessary for their successful utilization in mechanical components and systems.
* Defines a procedure to evaluate the materials performance efficiency in engineering applications and illustrates it with a number of examples.
* Includes sample project activities, along with a number of assignments for self exercise.
* Keeps chapters short and targeted toward specific topics for easy assimilation.
* Contains several unique chapters, including microprocessing, MEMS, problems encountered during use of materials in mechanical components, and NDT procedures used to detect common defects such as cracks, porosity and gas pockets, internal residual stresses, etc.
* Features commonly used formulae in mechanical system components in an appendix.
* Several tables containing material properties are included throughout the book.
Part A: Materials Selection Principles and Application to Mechanical Engineering
* Materials Selection for Mechanical Engineering
* The Material Engineering Index (MEI)
* Analysis of Materials Performance Efficiency
* Specific Example – MPI Analysis for Optimum Material Selection for a Steam Turbine Rotor
Part B: Properties of Interest in Mechanical Components and Systems
*****a. Mechanical Properties
* Mechanical Properties of Importance in Mechanical Engineering – Tensile and Compressive Properties
* Material Properties – Mechanical – Fracture Characteristics and Fracture Toughness
* Material Properties – Mechanical – Fatigue
* Material Properties – Mechanical Creep
* Material Properties – Mechanical – Friction and Wear
* Variation of Mechanical Properties and Residual Stresses
*****b. Physical Properties
* Physical Properties of Interest to Mechanical Engineering – Thermal Properties of Materials
* Physical Properties of Interest to Mechanical Engineering – Electrical Properties
*****c. Chemical Properties
* Material Properties – Chemical – Surface Properties – Corrosion
Part C: Materials Used in Mechanical Components and Systems
* Mechanical Engineering Materials – Metallic – Ferrous Alloys – Steels, Stainless Steels, and Cast Irons
* Mechanical Engineering Materials – Metals – Non-ferrous Aluminum, Titanium and Copper Alloys
* Mechanical Engineering Materials – Metallic – Non-Ferrous Alloys – Nickel – and Cobalt-base Superalloys
* Other Metallic Materials Used in Mechanical Engineering
* Engineering Ceramics and Polymers
* Engineering Materials – Composites
Part D: Materials Engineering
*****a. Processing Techniques
* Mechanical Processing and Thermal Treatments
* Materials Process – Surface Treatments and Case Hardening
* Micromanufacturing – Micromachining, Lithography, MEMS
*****b. Material Handling
* Problems with Materials during Use – Manifestation, Detection and Correction
* Materials Maintenance – Non-Destructive Testing of Mechanical Components
Part E: Materials in Use in Mechanical Components and Systems
* Materials Commonly Used for Single Mechanical Engineering Components
* Examples of Selection of Materials for Single Components
* Materials Selection for Components in Simple Mechanical Systems
* Materials Analysis in Multi-Component Mechanical Systems – Materials in Use for Components in Engines of Various Kinds
* Materials in Use in Multi-Component Mechanical Systems – Pumps
* Materials Selection for Selected Thermal Systems
Part F: Selected Materials Selection Projects
* Examples for Materials Selection for Single Components
* Material Selection for Components in Multi-Component Mechanical Systems: Selected Projects
* Analysis of Materials Selection for New Mechanical Designs and Systems
* Simple Materials Selection Projects
Part G: Appendix – Useful Table and Data